May 2, 2011

monday.

My friend Katie from high school posted this on her facebook today and I wanted to share it with you.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
- MLK Jr.

Last night I was watching CSI:Maimi when CBS interrupted the show to bring us a news break from the white house. It soon came out that Osama Bin Laden had been killed and his body was in US custody. For a moment I felt a weird sense of relief. I'm not sure why though. I know that he was the head of Al-Quida, and that they were responsible for many terriost attacks all over the world. But right now, he was not a big threat to my daily life.

It took an hour and a half for the President to come out and address the nation. I loved that in his address he said "One nation under God indivisable with liberty and justice for all" and he said "God Bless America". It makes my soul happy that he acknowledges God on TV.

This morning when I woke up it was still all over the news. People seemed happy. Heraldo on Fox News said that he was positively giddy. How can you be giddy about someone's death? I understand that this man was responsible for 1,000's (if not more) deaths but I can't be happy about killing him. I think this quote by MLK Jr. that my friend Katie put on facebook really captures how I feel about the situation.

*****
On a totally unrelated note: It is finally beautiful here again!! It rained most of the day on Saturday and then it snowed, yes you read that right SNOWED on Sunday. What is that? Why was there snow on May 1st? I was not happy when I got up yesterday.

But today it is sunny. So I walked down to the newspaper office to order some cardstock paper for our wedding favors, then to the bank to deposit my tax refund check (*side note: what a feeling of satisfaction, getting that check after filling out all of the paper work!!), while at the bank I talked to a banker about a new savings account where you can get 3% interest instead of the 0.5% my saving account was at. Yes please! I'm all about having my money make more money for me. Downside: the 3% only counts on the first $500 that you put in the savings account and the rate is only good for like 13 months.

Then I went to the post office to mail the deposit to the photographer for the wedding and to take back a letter that I got in the mail. I've gotten this letter twice that is addressed to a man in St. Paul. I live nowhere near St. Paul. His street address was the same as mine but that was all (well the state is the same too). Our names our different, our towns are different, and our zip codes are different. I've already taken this letter back to the post office once. I probably sounded pretty annoyed when I was in the post office today.

After the post office I headed to a different bank in town which is where my landlord works to drop off my rent. Then we chatted about wedding stuff for a while and one of the other tellers working told us that 3 days before her wedding one of her bmaids ended up in jail for writing bad checks and her (the teller/bride) dad had to bail out the bmaid!! I would be so mad! Hopefully none of my girls end up in jail!!

Then I headed to this store in town call the Curiosity Shoppe and they had an assortment of home decor, specialty foods and craft supplies. I was looking for fabric for the bracelet project that I shared with you last week. They didn't have any that I liked/that would work/that is in the churches price range. I'm still contemplating driving to Grand Forks to JoAnn fabric to get something there. It isn't a bad drive and my car gets good mileage but I don't know if I want to go. I really want to do this project with the church kids and I won't be going home or to Fargo or Grand Forks until NEXT weekend so we wouldn't get to make the bracelets until the 18th if I want and that's the last day of youth group for the year. And I don't think I want to do this project on the last day of youth group. So maybe I'll end up making the hour long journey (one way) to get fabric.

Anyway, now I'm home again and enjoying my relaxing day off. I slept in, cleaned a little, talked to my sister, had a nice walk, got some errands done. Now I have to run to Wal*Mart (which does NOT have fabric, sad day) and maybe go tanning. On Easter when I wore my dress to church, I was standing next to one of my senior high girls and my legs looked SO white! Ah!! And less then two weeks from now is Katie's graduation and then the following week is my cousin Austin's graduation and I'm planning on wearing dresses for both and I don't want to look like a ghost. So tanning is in order.

I hope you're having a great day!
Love, a future Mrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment