May 5, 2011

fundraisers

Working in youth ministry means that I have to work with fundriasers. I'm not really a fan of doing them. I think it's great that people in the congregation and community are willing to support these kids so that the kids can go to camp or so they can go to youth gatherings. But if it were up to me, these generous people in our congregation and community would just donate their money to us. I don't want to have to sell anything, make anything, cook anything, or organize anything.

Yesterday we started what is arguably our biggest fundraiser of the year. Our rummage sale. Every spring we do this rummage sale where we ask people to donate things that they would like to sell, then we sort and price them, then on Saturday people come buy things. Just like the regular rummage sale you go to in someone's garage or yard but on a bigger scale. Last year we brought in just shy of $1,500 and we took 4 or 5 truckloads of stuff out of the church that didn't sell. It's overwhelming and it's a lot of work.

So last night we started sorting through the donations that have come in already and the kids were not working! They sat in the kitchen and played truth or dare on someone's iPod. I kept asking them to do things and they would do the one thing I asked then go sit back down. I'm sorry. That isn't how this works. I'm not going to bust my but with your mother while you sit there. Grr.... There were a few kids that were working and doing what needed to be done, but not many of them.

Now today I have to keep working on stuff for that. I have to order food to make bbq's, I have to go to the grocery store to buy chips and lemonade mix, I have to make sure that we can take our left overs (items that don't sell- not food) to the same place we did last year, I have to make sure that our add made it into the daily flier that the radio station does, and I have to keep sorting donations. All of this on top of my regular office work.

On a happier note- my 100th post is coming up soon and I'm brainstorming some fun ideas on what to do to celebrate! Maybe a give away??

I hope you're having a great day!
Love, a future Mrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment