September 13, 2011

Furniture Shopping

The couch in my house has seen better days.

It was in my college house. And by that I mean it was left there by a previous owner. I was the only one of my roommates that had room on moving day so I got most of the couch. It is a 3 piece sectional with an ottoman. I have the right arm, the middle section & the ottoman. One of my roomies took the left arm. I have no idea where it is now.

It was a tan color kind of micro-fiber. It was stained and gross. So the summer after i finished college, while I was being a professional job hunter, I made a black slip cover for it. I bought 2 pillows at IKEA and I made 2 other ones to match, I also had 2 pillows that I had made before that worked with the new ones.

This is what it looks like:

It's comfortable and it has done it's job as a couch. But, like I said, it has seen better days. I'm sure that it was in someone's living room for a while, then they gave it to their kid when they went off to college (I really have no idea who's couch this was or where it came from), and then I took it, and here we are two years later. The back is falling off on the right arm (left side of the picture). It seriously goes back at least 4 inches farther then the middle part of the couch.

So the future Mr. and I have been furniture shopping. We were never looking very seriously. We'd walk through a furniture store and we'd dream but we were never seriously interested in anything.

Until we went to Fargo to register at Target & their kiosks were down. I asked if we could go to Old Navy because they had jeans on sale. Well, right next to Old Navy in Fargo there is a Big Lots. I had never been to one before but I had seen the commercials so I wanted to check it out.

The future Mr. and I found not one but two couches that we were interested in and that we would love to have in our house. Bonus! They were both well under $1,000. So I wrote down the measurments of each & measured our living room when I got home. One of them was way to big. Which is probably best. It was micro-fiber and I felt like I would be constatnly smoothing it out & trying to get marks off of it.

The other one we loved was only a little bigger then the couch we have now.

2 days later I was watching TV while I was eating my lunch & a big lots commercial came on. All of their couches were on sale $25-$100 off each of them. The one that we wanted was $100 off. The future Mr. called to see if they had any in stock, and they didn't. So my friend Lacey went in to put a down payment on it for us.

Look at how beautiful this couch is:
Simmons® 2-Piece Metro Sectional
Don't you want that in your living room with some beautiful light blue & cream pillows? I do!

The future Mr. got a phone call today that our couch (and ottoman) are in!! I'm so excited! But it will be at least 2 weeks before this beauty is in my living room. Because the future Mr. has to go get it and he only comes here on weekends. But this weekend is my mom's birthday and we're going to see...
The Minnesota Twins at Target Field!
Whoop-whoop!
All 6 of us are going: Mom, Dad, me, future Mr., Katie, & E (her boyfriend; he has a real name but I'm not sure how either of them feel about me using it...) This will be the first trip that all 6 of us go on together! I'm so excited! I can't wait to tell you all about it next week!

Love, a future Mrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment